Once again, Karen of Books and Chocolate is hosting Back to the Classics, a challenge that encourages bloggers to discover and enjoy classic books they might not have tried, or just never got around to reading. Go here for more information and to sign up.
And there is a prize for completing all 12 categories! One lucky winner will receive a $30 (US) prize from Amazon.com or The Book Depository.
- Complete six categories, and you get one entry in the drawing
- Complete nine categories, and you get two entries in the drawing
- Complete all twelve categories, and you get three entries in the drawing
Here are the categories and my choices:
1. A 19th Century Classic – Ruth Hall (1855), Fanny Fern
2. A 20th Century Classic– The Land of Little Rain, Mary Austin
3. A classic by a woman author – Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
4. A classic in translation – Nobody’s Boy, Hector Malot, trans. from the French by Florence Crewe-Jones
5. A classic published before 1800 – Roxana, Daniel Defoe (1724)
9. A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title – Penguins and Golden Calves, Madeleine L’Engle
10. A classic set in a place you’d like to visit – The Wonder, Emma Donoghue
11. An award-winning classic – The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare (The Newbery Medal, 1962
12. A Russian Classic – The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky