One of my greatest historical deficiencies is the American Civil War.
A blogger friend, Jillian, whose love of all things Margaret Mitchell and Gone with the Wind has generously given me guidance for a personal American Civil War Challenge. I took many of her recommendations and created a list of categories I hope to accomplish over the next two years. I will continue to add to the list of books and other media throughout the challenge as I discover new titles. Some of the books I will review and add the urls here.
Please comment below if you have favorite titles to add to this project!
1. Novels set during the American Civil War, published within the last fifty years
March, Geraldine Brooks
2. Classic novels set during the American Civil War, published prior to the last sixty years
~Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
~The Long Roll, Mary Johnston
3. Classic novels set after the American Civil War in which the subject is a prominent feature, published prior to the last sixty years
~The Bostonians, Henry James
4. Nonfiction from the viewpoint of an enslaved American
5. Nonfiction/fiction by or about a white abolitionist
~Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe
6. Nonfiction/fiction about black troops in the war
7. Memoirs or biographies of an infantry Confederate soldier
8. Memoirs or biographies of an infantry Union soldier
~All for the Union: The Civil War Diary and Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Robert Hunt Rhodes, Ed.
9. Classic memoirs and contemporary nonfiction about the white female experience during the war (home front, spies, female soldiers, nurses, etc).
10. Memoirs and biographies about males positioned high in the war: Lee, Grant, Lincoln
11. Books about women connected to a males positioned high in the war
~Civil War Wives: The Lives & Times of Angelina Grimke Weld, Varina Howell Davis & Julia Dent Grant, Carol Berkin
12. Books on Lincoln: biographies, speeches, Lincoln-Douglas Debate
13. Classic writers write about the American Civil War
~From Battlefields Rising: How The Civil War Transformed American Literature, Randall Fuller
14. Nonfiction overviews of the War
Battle Cry of Freedom, James McPherson
15. Nonfiction of specific events or topics of the War: medical, technological
~The War of the Aeronauts : A History of Ballooning during the Civil War, Charles M. Evans
~The Free State of Jones: Mississippi’s Longest Civil War, Victoria E. Bynum
16. Nonfiction account of something resulting from the war: Reconstruction, transformation of culture/literature, Civil Rights, Great Migration
~The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration, Isabel Wilkerson
17. Nonfiction accounts of specific battles
18. Non American fiction/nonfiction on any aspect of the American Civil War
19. Read, research or write something about my state (California) and what was experienced, understood, thought about regarding the Civil War
~The California Gold Rush and the Coming of the Civil War, Leonard L. Richards
Films and TV
~The Free State of Jones
~The Civil War, Ken Burns, PBS