Gilion Dumas of Rose City Reader is celebrating the 10-year anniversary of this challenge!
THE GIST: The idea is to read books set in European countries or books by European authors. The books can be of any genre – fiction, nonfiction, novels, short stories, memoirs, travel guides, cookbooks, biography, poetry, whatever. You can participate at different levels, but each book must represent a different country — either written by an author from a different country or set in a different country, no two books from the same country. It’s supposed to be a tour! See the challenge page for more information.
WHAT COUNTS AS “EUROPE”?: For this challenge, we use the standard list of 50 sovereign states:
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.
The levels of participation.
- FIVE STAR (DELUXE ENTOURAGE): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries.
- FOUR STAR (HONEYMOONER): Read four qualifying books.
- THREE STAR (BUSINESS TRAVELER): Read three qualifying books.
- TWO STAR (ADVENTURER): Read two qualifying books.
- ONE STAR (PENSIONE WEEKENDER): Read just one qualifying book.
To start I will list four, but I hope to go for the 5!
- The Angel’s Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain)
- All our Worldly Goods (France)
- Snare, Lila Sigurdardottir (Iceland)
- Markings, (Sweden)